Re: PDF backend for (Open)Jade

Subject: Re: PDF backend for (Open)Jade
From: Matthias Clasen <clasen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 16:30:32 +0200
> So I looked at the standard about "indirect sosofos" and found some infos
> about
> layout-driven generated Text, which is even currently implemented for
> page-numbers and could easily be enhanced to support per-page footnotes and
> the like.
>
> Yet, I don't see the needs for bidirectional communication here - could you
> please specify that? Furthermore, is this feature implemented in OpenJade
> yet? Do you have examples for the usage of it?

Look for generated-obj's: These are EL objects (eg numbers), whose value
may depend on the formatting of (part of) the FOT. An example would be
page numbers, line numbers, etc. Using general-indirect-sosofo, you
can apply arbitrary EL procedures to them. Typical example: formatting
of page number references in an index according to the kind of reference
(eg bold numbers for reference to a definition, italics otherwise...)
I have once implemented that for the TeX backend using a two-pass approach:
The TeX backend (or more accurately, jadetex) produces an auxiliary SGML file
containing the needed page-numbers which are then made available in a
second jade run via sgml-parse.

Hope this helps (I could provide more info if needed, but not now)

--
Matthias Clasen,
Tel. 0761/203-5606