Re: Working with Multiple DSSSLs

Subject: Re: Working with Multiple DSSSLs
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 12:03:42 -0500
Quoting droyter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <droyter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I was wondering if it is possible to use several DSSSL files to
> process a document. I'm not sure I'm able to accurately convey
> what I mean here. Is there a way to have a master.dsl with sub
> dsssl files off of it?

   Yes.  If you have Norm's Docbook Stylesheets, check out the
"customization layer" feature, which makes use of DSSSL's
<external-specification> feature.  You reference the big Docbook
stylesheet, then override certain parts of it.  In your case, the
"base" stylesheet would probably define a rule for the document
element which makes a simple-page-sequence.  In your "derived"
stylesheets, you could override this rule to construct the
simple-page-sequence differently.
   I've included a simple example below.  It just redefines
(overrides) a few procedures that are used in the Docbook stylesheets.
The "use" attribute in the <style-specification> corresponds to the
"id" attribute in the <external-specification>, and the "document"
attribute in that tag corresponds to the entity declaration at the
top.
   The way this works is that DSSSL ignores all but the first
definition of a name or specification of a rule for a given target.
For ordering purposes, the contents of the <style-specification> is
considered to come before the contents of the <external-specification>
that is referenced by the "use" attribute.

-Brandon :)

<!DOCTYPE style-sheet PUBLIC "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Style Sheet//EN" [
<!ENTITY docbook.dsl PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//DOCUMENT DocBook HTML Stylesheet//EN" CDATA DSSSL>
]>

(define %generate-article-titlepage% #f)
(define %generate-article-toc% #f)
(define (html-file #!optional (input_nd (current-node))) "charNames.html")

<external-specification id="docbook" document="docbook.dsl">