RE: <![cdata[

Subject: RE: <![cdata[
From: Pieter Rijken <pieter.rijken@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 09:02:54 +0200

> Quoting Pieter Rijken <pieter.rijken@xxxxxx>:
> > I'm not succeding in doing this. The first entity or short
> references is
> > recognozed correctly, but the second entity or short
> references are not.
> > Apparently they are not recognized because they are in a
> '<![CDATA['.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to replace '<![CDATA[..]]>' by entity/short
> > references?
> >
>    I don't have a copy of the SGML Handbook here right now, so I can't
> give you all of the specifics, but the only way I can think of to
> accomplish this would be to use a short reference or entity for the
> opening part, and redefine the delimiter (MSC, I think) for the
> closing part (which, as I recall, is a single string ']]>') to just
> ']'.  Of course, this means that all marked sections would have to be
> modified to use the new delimiter.

I want to thank both Tony and Brandon for their replies. The RCDATA
'trick' suggested by Tony worked fine and Brandon's reply made
me realize that what I wanted to didn't seem the proper way to do it.

What I really wanted (and forgot to tell you guys) was that I had the
following SGML construction:

<message>
  <StartData>
  <EndData>
</message>

The <StartData>...<EndData> is a special non-SGML construct. With the
<![RCDATA[...]]> I wanted to 'escape' the '<...>'.
However, later I realized that the <StartData>...<EndData> is nothing
but a notation. So after adding a notation valued attribute to <message>
I did not need the <![RCDATA[...]]> anymore!

I'm glad to see that one never stops learning :-)

regards,

pieter

--
Pieter Rijken                          E-mail: pieter.rijken@xxxxxx

CMG Telecommunications and Utilities B.V.
Division Advanced Technology
Nieuwekade 1-19
P.O. Box 8038                 Phone: +31 30 2339300
3503 RA Utrecht               Fax:   +31 30 2339495
The Netherlands

DISCLAIMER: This statement is not an official statement from, nor
            does it represent an official position of, CMG
            Telecommunications and Utilities B.V.