XT and ServletDestination vs OutputStreamDestination problem.

Subject: XT and ServletDestination vs OutputStreamDestination problem.
From: "Noll, Jeff HS" <jeff.noll@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 14:25:08 -0400
I'm looking for some insight into a problem i'm having with transforming an
xsl file into an output stream.

  Using the follow works just fine going into an httpServletResponse by
setting the outputMethodHandler set to a new ServletDestination().

The following works just fine if i transform into an httpServletResponse

version="1.0">
<xsl:output method="html">
<SCRIPT>
var foo = document.forms[0].elements["FUNCTION"];
var x = 0;

while(foo.options.length &gt; 0)
  foo.options[foo.options.length - 1] = null;
</SCRIPT>
</xsl:stylesheet>

The relevant part here is the &gt; that needs to be an > in the javascript.

Now, if i try to transform to an OutputStream on the exact same xsl file I
suddenly get a null exception

at sun.io.Converters.getConvertClass(Converters.java:78).

After some searching and a few emails it was recommended that I change the
<xsl:output line to:

<xsl:output method="text/html" encoding="iso-8859-1"/>

which i did and the error went away. However, in the transformation, the
&gt; sign does not get changed to
a > sign, so the javascript fails to execute.

Can anyone shed some light on what i'm doing wrong and how things should
work? Any help appreciated,
thanks,

	Jeff