Re: rendering trademark in HTML using DSSSL and Navigator

Subject: Re: rendering trademark in HTML using DSSSL and Navigator
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:19:02 -0500
Quoting Roland Schopf <Roland.Schopf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > I have a similar problem here with a degree symbol. In ISOLat1.ent
> > deg is defined as
> > <!ENTITY deg    CDATA "&#176;" -- degree sign -->
> >
> > After generating HTML I always get °, and not &#176; as expected
> > &amp; is working perfectly ok, producing &#38;

   I think the problem, here, is that the character reference in your
entity declaration is being interpreted during processing of the
declaration.  Thus, the entity "deg" is being defined as the actual
degree character, rather than the reference.  The only reason that
this doesn't seem to be happening with &amp; is because OpenJade's
SGML backend reencodes certain characters, such as &, < and >, back
into character references in the output.  So, the &amp; is getting
decoded into a character, then reencoded, but the &#176; is only
getting decoded, and not reencoded.
   You might try replacing the & at the start of &#176; in your entity
declaration with &amp;, so that the SGML parser will not decode the
character reference.

-Brandon :)