Re: DocBook -> Jade -> RTF: lists as RTF lists?

Subject: Re: DocBook -> Jade -> RTF: lists as RTF lists?
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:50:35 -0500
Quoting David Miller <dmiller@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I need the RTF document produced by the Jade RTF backend to have lists
> as true RTF lists, so that when users edit the RTF document, they get
> automatic list renumbering, etc.  Now, itemizedlists and orderedlists
> are just specially formatted regular paragraphs, as opposed to true RTF
> lists.
>
> Looking at the DocBook stylesheets and the Jade source code, this looks
> like a challenge to me.  So I thought I'd ask first: Has anybody already
> done this, and can share the results?

   I realize that what follows may not be helpful in the least, but so
you know, there's a reason why this will be tricky.  DSSSL, being
intended as a tool to produce "final output" (ie, a printable
document, rather than an editable one), doesn't generally include flow
objects for semantic constructs that can just as easily be created
with layout-based objects such as paragraphs and special characters.
   So, to provide access to RTF's list formatting, you'd probably need
to create some nonstandard flow objects, such as those used by the
SGML Transformation backend.  Unfortunately, this involves walking a
line that requires both hacking up C++ code in OpenJade as well as
hacking up the RTF that it outputs.  And, of course, you'll need to
modify Norm's stylesheets to use the new flow objects, too.
   That having been said, the task would certainly not be impossible
to pull off.  If you're up to it, let me know, and I may be able to at
least point you in the right direction (assuming no one appears with a
ready-made solution).

-Brandon :)