Re: DocBook -> Jade -> RTF: lists as RTF lists?

Subject: Re: DocBook -> Jade -> RTF: lists as RTF lists?
From: Ed Nixon <ed.nixon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:00:47 -0400
Another Word add-in that has recently become available via evaluation download from the XyEnterprise web site it WorX SE from MetaVision. XyEnterprise and MetaVision have a partnership agreement of some kind. I believe the version available for evaluation is not the current version that can be purchased directly from MetaVision.

The distribution contains an XML docbook configuration but I haven't checked to see what has been customized in or out. I tried to configure WorX SE with Norm's sdocbook DTD and found the application ran out of memory on my 96 MB laptop. (I suspect the recursive nature of the 'section' element may be the stumbling point but I'm not certain of that.) The XML internals of this product I believe rely on MSXML (latest version is OK with a one file update from MetaVision) and the entire package is VB based.

I haven't formed any definite opinions about it as yet but would be interested in other people's experiences if they take a look.

...edN

At 03:26 PM 16/10/2000 -0500, David Miller wrote:
"Maltby, David G" wrote:

> > In short, my most basic requirement is to let users edit
> > their documents
> > using their standard authoring tool (Word), but still maintain the
> > documents in a format-neutral way (DocBook).
>
> Although personally appalled at this concept, you may be able to buy a
> solution at
> http:\\www.i4i.com with their S4/TEXT product.
>
> Speaking from the "been-there-done-that-dept.", you are setting yourself up
> for a life of pain.

Definitely a true statement!  It's too late for me, though.  But for
anybody thinking of getting involved in a similar project, run away!

Thanks for the pointer on S4/TEXT, looks interesting.

--
Dave