Beginner Question: Insert contents of element in running head

Subject: Beginner Question: Insert contents of element in running head
From: m.broschinsky@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 19:05:00 +0000
Hi!

I am encoding some family documents using the TEILite
SGML DTD.  I want to use DSSSL to prepare them for print
as well as posting on the web.

In the print output, I would like a running head that
contains information from one of the document elements.
Now I know that in the construction rule for the root
element for the document I can have a simple-page-
sequence sosofo that can take left-header, center-
header, and right-header. And I think I can figure out
how to use a literal sosofo to assign a set character
string to each of those. But I *don't* see how to assign
the contents of an element to any of them.

I thought of taking a look at Norm Walsh's DocBook
stylesheets, because I know that he does something like
this, but I am a programming and DSSSL neophyte (at
best!), and that prospect was more than a little
daunting.

Thanks for your time,

Mike

--