Re: Functions returning length-spec

Subject: Re: Functions returning length-spec
From: roconnor@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 12:56:50 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Brandon Ibach wrote:

> Quoting roconnor@xxxxxxxxxxxx <roconnor@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > I can't find an example of a function that returns a length-spec.  Is
> > there some way of finding out how wide (literal "&#8226;  ") is?  This
> > will allow me to reverse-indent my bulleted items by the right
> > amount.  (Or maybe there's a better way to handle bulleted lists.)
> >
>    I'd have to do a little studying to give you a firm answer on any
> of this, but I'll take my best shot off the top of my head.  I'm
> fairly sure it isn't possible to get the length of a text string to
> feed as a length into some other setting.  However, there are usually
> ways around needing to know such a length.

Okay, your example of using bulletted items was very helpful.  But here is
another case.

I want to write a letter, and I want to put an address in the top right
corner.  Now the way I was thinking of doing this was to use a table to
push it over (This way I can have one cell in the left with my address,
and a cell in the right for the receipient's address).  But the amt. I
want to push it over depends on how wide the address I'm sending to is.

Thanks for any help.

--
Russell O'Connor

``Paradoxically, a refusal to `put a monetary value on life' means that
life is often undervalued.'' -- Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach