Attaching DSSSL to each element

Subject: Attaching DSSSL to each element
From: Nik Clayton <nik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:47:32 +0000
Hi folks,

Is it possible to attach DSSSL to every single element, preferably so that
the code can veto further processing of the element?

Specifically, what I want do is extend DocBook to add 3 new attributes to
pretty much each element,

    osversionmin
    osversionmax
    osversionin

which would allow us to indicate that specific elements only apply to
(for example) FreeBSD 4.0.  Extending DocBook in this way is fairly trivial.

I would then like to be able to build a formatted version of all the
documentation that only applies to FreeBSD 4.0.  For example, the following
elements would all be ignored,

    <para osversionmax="RELENG_3_4_0_RELEASE"> ... </>

    <tip osversionmin="RELENG_4_1_0_RELEASE"> ... </>

    <sect1 osversionin="RELENG_3_1_0_RELEASE, RELENG_3_3_0_RELEASE"> ... </>

Is it feasible to do this in DSSSL, without having to rewrite all of the
existing stylesheets that we're using?

If not, I guess I can probably do a pre-processing pass with Perl or similar,
but I'd prefer a DSSSL approach if possible.

Thanks for any suggestions.