(dsssl) [dsssl] Problem with ToC for slide-type document

Subject: (dsssl) [dsssl] Problem with ToC for slide-type document
From: Eric Brunel <eric_brunel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:10:06 +0100 (CET)
Hi all,

At first, let me explain what I want to do: I'm trying
to make a DTD + a DSSSL stylesheet to generate slides.
My document has quite an usual structure, with
chapters, including sub-chapters, and so on, each
(sub)chapter having a body, or not. Here is an
example:

<Chapter>    Chapter 1

<SubChapter> Sub-chapter 1.1

<Body>       Text...

<SubChapter> Sub-chapter 1.2

<Body>       Text...

<Chapter>    Chapter 2

<Body>       Text...

<SubChapter> Sub-chapter 2.1

<Body>       Text...

Being slides, I only want to include in the final
document the (sub)chapters that actually have a body,
in the example sub-chapters 1.1, 1.2, 2.1 and chapter
2. Chapter 1 doesn't have any body, so there is no
corresponding slide. I also want the current
(sub)chapter title to appear at the top of each slide,
and I want to generate a table of contents, listing
all chapters with their page number, including ones
that do not have any slide (like chapter 1 in the
example).

I found a way to do that by making a new
simple-page-sequence for each (sub)chapter, including
in its header the chapter title. The problem with this
method is that the element for the (sub)chapter
doesn't have any contents in the final document, so
the cross-reference to find its number for the table
of contents doesn't work.
Until now, I used jadetex 2.7 as a backend, with which
I found a simple and ugly way to make my ToC work: for
each (sub)chapter, I inserted a (literal "") as the
first element in the (sub)chapter's page sequence. I
did what I wanted: there were no pages for empty
(sub)chapters, but all of them had a content, so the
cross-references worked.

But with post-v3 jadetex versions, it doesn't work
anymore: apparently, I used a bug in my jadetex
version that has been corrected, so now a (literal "")
automatically generates a paragraph to contain the
literal. So my ToC is still working, but now I have an
empty page for each empty chapter, and there's an ugly
white line at the beginning of each of my chapters...

What should I do? There are many new interesting
features in jadetex v3, so I'd really like to get this
one... I can't figure out an other way to do what I
want, but my DSSSL is still young. Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks a lot in advance...
 - eb -