(dsssl) DBLP: DocBook-based Literate Programming

Subject: (dsssl) DBLP: DocBook-based Literate Programming
From: MARK.WROTH@xxxxxxxxxxx (Wroth, Mark)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:05:12 -0700
I have recently finished building and doing preliminary testing on an SGML
DocBook-based literate programming extension.  This system consists of a DTD
(an extension of DocBook 4.1) that implements literate programming markup,
and two DSSSL style specifications that implement the "weave" and "tangle"
functionality.

I've put a PDF file describing this, the Nuweb source file, and a tar.gz
archive with the key files in it up on the Web at
http://www.west-point.org/users/usma1978/36200/LitProg/LiterateProgramming.h
tml.

I'd also like to acknowledge something that may have been obvious to other
people working on variations of DocBook, but was brought home rather sharply
to me while doing this.  The modular design of the DocBook DTD and of Norman
Walsh's modular style sheets makes writing this sort of extension MUCH
easier than I would have expected.  Thanks, Norman, et al.

If you're interested in the subject, either as a DocBook extension, or as a
literate programming system, or as an example of DSSSL programming, please
feel free to take a look at it.  If you use it, I'd appreciate feedback on
it. I'm especially interested in suggestions on how to improve the DSSSL
style sheets, as I would not claim to be an expert in this area.  In
particular, a good way to deal with the issues surrounding the addition of a
<literalchar> element to the DTD would be interesting.