(dsssl) sdata entity mapping in sgml to sgml

Subject: (dsssl) sdata entity mapping in sgml to sgml
From: jany.quintard@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:42:32 +0200 (CEST)
Hi all.
I am trying to transform SGML written in german to HTML, using OJ 1.3 and the
sgml backend. My problem is to output the entities for german characters.
I can't use the :
(declare-characteristic preserve-sdata?
  "UNREGISTERED::James Clark//Characteristic::preserve-sdata?" #t)
because the entities I use are not the standard ones.  For example, I
have &ae; and I want ä

I thought that remapping the entities using :
<!ENTITY ae   SDATA   "&auml;"> in my input file should do the trick,
but in this case I get the standard transformation &#65533;.
I browsed the archive, and there is a similar post from january 2001
(Stefan Dalibor), but without answer.

As a workaround, I can use the preserve-sdata?  characteristic and sed
my file with a series of string transformations, but I don't like the
idea.

TIA.

Jany Quintard   IBM Paris Laboratory
Application & Integration Middleware Division