Re: (dsssl) lists and extra space

Subject: Re: (dsssl) lists and extra space
From: Joel Young <jdy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 11:48:25 -0400
From: "M. Wroth" <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 20:01:53 -0700
> I have no idea what the problem actually is -- but I doubt the tabs are
> the culprit.  To TeX in general, a tab is just whitespace, and under
> these conditions whitespace is collapsed.

>At 07:11 PM 6/29/01 +0200, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
>Our problem is that there's an extra space after the bullet in
>itemizedlists, like this:
>*  First line of the item...
>   Second line of the item
>   Third line of the item.
>-    out << "\\" << name << "%\n{" << s << '}';
>+    out << "\\" << name << "%\n{" << s << "}%\n";
>-    os() << '}';
>+    os() << "}%\n";

You are right the tabs aren't the culprit.  The culprit is the lack of a
% char.

This is exactly the right solution.  The tabs collapse, but TeX still
wants to put a space between the two items.  Under these circumstances,
you use the comment character as Balazs used to let TeX no that the line
is done--and not to insert a space between it and the next item.  For
example:

\framebox[2cm][l]{left}$\longrightarrow$\framebox[2cm][c]{center}$%
$\longrightarrow$\framebox[2cm][r]{right}

If you don't have the % you will get a space before the longrightarrow.
This example is quoted from "A Simplified Introduction to LaTeX" by
Harvey Greenberg, http://www.cudenver.edu/%7Ehgreenbe/

Joel
jdy@xxxxxxxxxxxx