Re: (dsssl) XML Document used by DSSSL

Subject: Re: (dsssl) XML Document used by DSSSL
From: Yann Dirson <ydirson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 16:08:19 +0200
On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 03:09:53PM +0200, jany.quintard@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Yann Dirson wrote:
>
> > Jany wrote:
> > > Yes. Remember that after all, even with all the fuss made around it, XML
> > > is SGML.
> >
> > Well, it's true as long as you use XML DTDs, but what if you want to
> > drop them for using W3C schemas for example ?
> Well, j'aimerais bien le savoir.
> Actually, it is something I am wondering about, since I heard speak of
> DCDs and schemas. And I don't know. As I am an SGML user, I *want* to see
> XML as SGML, but I am not certain that I am able to hold this in the (not
> so far) future.

I'm an SGML user as well, and for now the main problem I see to switch
to XML is that the XML DTDs only restrict the expressive power of the
SGML user.

Now, the various schema notations really extend it instead.  I guess
it was useful to have an SGML-compatible XML to get started, so that
the existing tools can help to start with the migration.  Now that
"native" XML tools begin to be on par with their SGML equivalent,
nothing will stop adding features to XML.

OTOH, when defining XML, they also dropped features like SUBDOC, and
now they're spending time and money to specify and implement
Xinclude...  Let's just hope it's more powerful and more lightweight
(if those concepts are meaningful here...)

--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Free-Software Engineer				      Ingénieur Logiciel-Libre