Re: (dsssl) polymorphic em

Subject: Re: (dsssl) polymorphic em
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 02:49:23 -0500
Quoting Trent Shipley <tcshipley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> em's are a constant.  They should be relative to current context.
>
> How do I effectively produce this?
>
> (define-proportional-unit em current-context-fontsize)
>
> So that a procedure MAKE-DOUBLE-INDENTED-PARAGRAPH can be written once
> and used for both a blockquote in upright base-font and for epigraph
> in italic (- base-font 2pt).

   You can't actually define a unit that will accomplish this, but you
could define a procedure (which may or may not work, I can not
guarantee this, as I have not tried it):

     (define (em q) (* q (actual-font-size)))

and then:

     (define (MAKE-DOUBLE-INDENTED-PARAGRAPH)
       (make paragraph start-indent: (em 2) ...))

   Let me know if this works... ;)  Otherwise, why not just have this
procedure accept the font-size as an argument?

-Brandon :)