Re: (dsssl) Practical Bibliography question

Subject: Re: (dsssl) Practical Bibliography question
From: Trent Shipley <tcshipley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 14:30:57 -0700
Well:

I started in DSSSL, the JadeTex output is very nice so far, and I would like
to stay with it.

However, I can't seem to do much of any useful tree traversal, querying, and
so on in OpenJade without a heck of a lot of work.  I spend a couple days
trying to figure out how to enumerate a sub-list of elements based on the
value of an atribute.  The closest I came was an example in German that
seemed to argue based on the existence of an atribute but not its value.

The point is that I am hoping SAXON will have a pretty full implementation of
Xpointers that will make the transformation much easier.

As for the stages.  I program that way alot.  Divide-conquer problem solving,
no?  I'm on a tight schedule and mostly want to get the thing done.  Each day
programing elegance gets less important.  I need to writing the dissertation.
Laying the d*** thing out myself is just a poverty induced obstacle.

---

Nevertheless, I do enjoy programming and working on stylesheets.
    I'm still upset that I had to resort to level-labeled TEI <DIVn>s instead
of the generically nesting DIV element to get endnote formatting to come out
right.
   And that doesn't even address the lingering frustration of using endnotes
instead of real footnotes, or having to use the IGNORE feature to hide
comment level notes to get endnote numbering right, or not being able to
display comment notes as side notes instead of as monospaced in-line text, or

(Ah they're all nits,  I need to lighten up and get back to writing.
      Writing important.
              Formatting obstacle.)