(dsssl) The future of DSSSL

Subject: (dsssl) The future of DSSSL
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 18:26:09 -0600
Greetings, DSSSLers...
   Some time ago, we (the DSSSL community) received an offer from
Javier Farreres.  He proposed to have some of his university students
do development work on OpenJade.  I (and others) feel it would be a
terrible waste to pass up this opportunity to advance the state of
DSSSL implementation, but the question is, what would be the most
useful parts of DSSSL to have, that we don't have now?  How can we
best take advantage of this offer?
   [On a personal note, Javier, I hope the window of opportunity is
still open, and I hope that we can still work together to take
advantage of the resources you have offered.]
   If you, like me, care about the future of DSSSL, would like to see
it live on, would like to see the tools get better, and maybe even
have some ideas about what you'd like to see happen with DSSSL, we
should talk. :)
   To that end, I'd like to propose an "Open Forum on the Future of
DSSSL".  I would suggest that this forum be held via IRC, as it is a
fairly pervasive means of real-time communication.  The EFNet seems to
be a good choice of network, so I suggest a channel be established
there at a preset time.  If anyone has any significant objections to
the choice of IRC or EFNet, please contact me privately.
   Also, a date and time for this forum need to be decided upon.
Given that DSSSL is used by people all over the world, this may be
difficult to arrange.  I would encourage people to contact me
privately with their suggestions regarding the scheduling of this
forum.  I anticipate a discussion lasting between one half to one full
hour, though I imagine we could let it regulate itself with regard to
duration.  It would be my intent to provide a summary of this forum
here on the DSSSList, both for sake of recording the results, as well
as for the benefit of those unable to attend.  This may also serve as
a basis for potential future sessions.
   I would like to have this forum occur within the next week or so,
so if you have any input in regards to the scheduling or other
details, please contact me promptly.
   I have a lot of ideas about what I'd like to see happen with DSSSL
in the future, and I know that others do, as well.  Let's collect the
thoughts of the DSSSL community toward the goal of advancing the state
of this wonderful technology. :)

-Brandon :)