Re: (dsssl) character data and colspec

Subject: Re: (dsssl) character data and colspec
From: Bob Firth <rfirth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 15:16:55 +0000 (GMT)
On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Tony Graham wrote:

> XML requires that you include a system identifier instead of or as
> well as the public identifier that you have already, but Jade doesn't
> care if you only have a public identifier.  You will, however, have
> trouble with the DOCTYPE declaration if you process your file on a
> true XML system instead of Jade's SGML-but-works-with-vanilla-XML
> capability.

Is there a way round this?  Following your previous replies I have
converted the files in question to true xml, using the DocBook XML dtd.
However, if I include a system identifier in the DOCTYPE declaration
(I used "http://docbook.org/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd";), jade complains
that URLs are not supported in this release.  If I don't include a
system identifier, jade works fine, but as you predicted other things
complain (e.g. emacs psgml mode).

I guess I'm a little confused as to the purpose of the mandatory system
identifier in xml.  Why is it necessary when the catalog system for public
identifiers is set up properly?  Is it possible to force the public
identifier to be used in preference to the system identifier?

--
Bob Firth <rfirth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
SeiScan GeoData Ltd