Re: (dsssl) The Future of DSSSL: Concrete proposals

Subject: Re: (dsssl) The Future of DSSSL: Concrete proposals
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 16:40:58 +0000
On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 12:30:44PM +0100, Javier Farreres wrote:

> to do with SGML nor XML. But upon reading the XML standard,
> it is very clearly a language designed for internet transmission,
> and its design aims go for easy of parsing and such. SGML is
> designed as a general markup language

be careful of judging XML by what it was designed to be. what matters
is what it has become. A few years back, many people predicted that XML
would not take the place of SGML, since it was designed for
something different; my view of the situation today is that
XML has completely taken over the role that SGML head, for good
or bad.

> XML people want to use it, they will be able to. As I see, the main differente
> between SGML and XML is namespaces
and the beginning of the use of schemas, rather than DTDs

>  Anyway I think the real aim is not SGML, but HyTime.
does anyone still believe that HyTime will ever come into meaningful
use?

> W3C people didn't take groves into account because they didn't understand it.
probably true. unfortunately, they run the world :-}

Still, I dont think any of this matters to what you propose,
so I think you deserve thanks and support for pushing this