Re: (dsssl) Turning a string into a sequence of character nodes

Subject: Re: (dsssl) Turning a string into a sequence of character nodes
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 14:53:42 -0500
Quoting Norman Walsh <ndw@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> so that markup characters in the string wouldn't cause the parser to
> barf. This will still fail, I think, if the string contains characters
> not in the character set of the SGML declaration in effect, but I'm
> not sure what to do about that.

   You could go ultra-conservative and create a function taking two
arguments, both strings, which will replace any character in the
second string with a numeric reference if that character is not in
the first string.  For the first string, have just the printable ASCII
characters, minus &, < and >.
   Of course, getting the numeric value of an arbitrary character
could be tricky.  I believe the only way to do it (for a potentially
very large set of characters, anyway) would be via character
properties, which weren't supported until sometime in the OpenJade era
(can't recall just when).

-Brandon :)