Re: (dsssl) Comparing style sheet languages

Subject: Re: (dsssl) Comparing style sheet languages
From: Jany Quintard <jany.quintard@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 17:45:43 +0200
* Håkon Wium Lie [Thu, 27/06/2002 at 15:02 +0200]
> Also sprach Jany Quintard:
>
>  > > It just happens that stylesheet inheritance is declared using those
>  > > SGML tags, so in this case we must have them shown.
>
>  > True. And it is better to show them, to help understand the structure of
>  > the thing.
>
> FYI, neither "The DSSSL Cookbook" [1] nor Daniel M. German's DSSSL
> tutorial [2] show the tags.
>
> [1] http://csgrs6k1.uwaterloo.ca/~dmg/dsssl/tutorial/tutorial.html
> [2] http://www.mulberrytech.com/dsssl/dsssldoc/cookbook/cookbook.html
Yes, and it made me wonder a while when I began to write dsssl code.
But the fact that they are not written does not mean that they are not
there, due to the dsssl architecture. This is the tag minimization
feature.

Just for the fun, try this:
echo "Hello Haakon" | tidy

I am aware that tidy is not a validator, but, asuming that the greeting
is HTML, it is able to build a correct HTML document, using this set of
rules: only body is mandatory and tags can be omitted.

So, you get:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
  <head>
    "HTML Tidy for Linux/x86 (vers 1st March 2002), see www.w3.org">
    <title></title>
  </head>
    balh

Well, I am wondering if this is not a bit off-topic.

Jany