Re: (dsssl) Jade keeps translating non-breaking space to a regular space in HTML

Subject: Re: (dsssl) Jade keeps translating non-breaking space to a regular space in HTML
From: tmcd@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:11:35 -0500 (EST)
Holger Klawitter <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There is one, however this blocks *all* SDATA entity refs from being
> translated:
>
> (declare-characteristic preserve-sdata?
>   "UNREGISTERED::James Clark//Characteristic::preserve-sdata?"
>   #t)

I saw that in the Jade HTML page, but I didn't figure out how to try
it.  If I may ask an ignorant question: what's SDATA?  What are the
implications of "blocking all SDATA entity refs from being
translated"?  If, as I guess, it means preserving all "&nbsp;",
"&#160;", and "Æ" types of characters from being changed, I don't see
why you'd ever *not* want it.

> There is yet another way to define such a thing :-)
> 	(make entity-ref name: "nbsp")

Um.  Er.  Well, of course, that's just so obvious that I didn't think
that it was necessary to bother the list with it.  Yes, that's it.

Seriously, my problem occurs in two places.  I mentioned the code
problem, that things like
    (literal "abc&nbsp;def")
result in "abc def" (with a normal space).  But &nbsp; in the XML
input is getting translated too:
    <cell-contents>abc&nbsp;def</cell-contents>
run thru just (process-children) is becoming "abc def" in the output
too.

Tim McDaniel, slinking off in shame
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd@xxxxxxxxx; tmcd@xxxxxxxxxx is my work address