Re: (dsssl) Mutiple replies. Long message

Subject: Re: (dsssl) Mutiple replies. Long message
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 16:02:53 -0400
(threaded replies would have been easlier to manage, Javier)

At 2003-04-07 19:25 +0200, you wrote:
>From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: (dsssl) Heresy
>
>I must confess that I have migrated all of my DSSSL work to XSLT and XSL-FO

>and do no further work with DSSSL.

But you, Ken, you are a slave of the market.

Sad, but true.

You are forced to offer teaching in the areas they ask
for. If they ask for XML, you must teach them XML.

Yes.

By the way, could you Ken explain what you say about DSSSL loosing ground
when new XSL versions appear?

I am anticipating more complex page models, powerful formatting objects and flexible properties to be available to support multiple flows, synchronizing constructs in the block progression direction, similar constructs to indirect sosofos, etc. With such facilities available in the XSL-FO semantics, one should be able to produce just about everything DSSSL can produce today with the complex page model.

-- Upcoming hands-on courses: Europe (XSLT/XPath): May 5, 2003 - Europe (XSL-FO): May 16, 2003 - (XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO) North America: June 16-20, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/z/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-10-1              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/z/bc