(dsssl) two side and choices

Subject: (dsssl) two side and choices
From: "Javier Farreres de la Morena" <spanish@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 17:25:09 +0200
>From: tmcd@xxxxxxxxx

You can activate two side with
(declare-characteristic page-two-side?
  "UNREGISTERED::OpenJade//Characteristic::page-two-side?"
  #t)

I think it is this one. James clark and other members of the jade team developed
a series of unregistered characteristics.

>Is there any reason to choose between
>    (format-number N "1")
>and
>    (number->string N)
>?

Yes there is.

Format-number converts an integer into different text formats, romans, uppercase
letters, trailing zeros, and so on. Number->string just gives a string representation
of the number, no conversion.

>How about between
>    (make sequence
>        CONTENTS
>    )
>(that is, setting no charactertistics, just grouping content)
>versus
>    (sosofo-append
>        CONTENTS
>    )
>I'm now switching to "sosofo-append" more generally; I would guess
>there's a little less overhead with it, and it seems "cleaner" to use
>the simple procedure rather than a "make".

Sosofo-append and sequence are difficult to distinguish. Mainly sequence
is designed for characteristic inheritance.

>I got private e-mail at work.  I don't recall who it was from.
>There is a beta version of OpenJade that has the page-sequence flow
>object.  The problem is that no back end implements it yet.  So, in
>essence, there is no page-sequence flow object yet.

Yes. No backend yet supports page and columns. But page and column are not
yet fully defined. Page-models are now being defined. They are quite complex
and many DSSSL procedures must yet be defined. It will take a bit, but not
too long.

Javi

Nueva Tiscali ADSL libre www.tiscali.es/libre
¡¡¡ POR SÓLO 16,95 euros al mes !!!
+ tiempo de conexión (0,024 ./min.)
Y cuota máxima garantizada de 39,95 ./mes
AHORA ALTA GRATIS
¡¡¡ Por fin pagas por lo que consumes !!!