Re: [dssslist] Character entities in DSSSL stylesheet

Subject: Re: [dssslist] Character entities in DSSSL stylesheet
From: "N. Raghavendra" <raghu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 18:52:22 +0530
At 2004-06-30T07:57:25-04:00, daniel lance herrick wrote:

> Looks like &nbsp; is an entity whose value is the
> empty string.
>
> Defining it to be an entity whose value is
> "&nbsp;" would be one approach.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your interest.

If I put

  <!ENTITY nbsp "&nbsp;">
  <!ENTITY author "Fname&nbsp;Surname">

in the doctype of the stylesheet, I get the error message

  openjade:bar.dsl:18:41:E: entity "nbsp" is already open

when I do

  openjade -t bar.dsl bar.sgml

> Invoking another entity, as
>
>    <!ENTITY author "Fname&amp;nbsp;Surname">
>
> (which would require that &amp; be defined
> somewhere in the doctype) is another approach.

Following this suggestion, in the doctype of the DSSSL stylesheet, I
put

  <!ENTITY amp "&">
  <!ENTITY author "Fname&amp;nbsp;Surname">

and got the output "Fname&#38;nbsp;Surname".  What I am expecting is
"Fname&nbsp;Surname".

Cheers,
Raghavendra.

--
N. Raghavendra <raghu@xxxxxxxxxxxx> | See mail headers for contact
Harish-Chandra Research Institute   | and OpenPGP details.