[dssslist] Re: Markup Technology Position

Subject: [dssslist] Re: Markup Technology Position
From: Javier Farreres <spanish@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:05:48 +0200
Hi David Maltby

The DSSSList is not the active hotspot of markup discourse that it used
to be but it is still my belief that the best and brightest markup
technologists are subscribed to this list. The last markup person we
hired was someone I met through the DSSSList. Given the low traffic on
the list, I hope you will forgive my rudeness in using the list to post
notice of our need for a top notch doc-head. Heck, we still use Jade and
DSSSL in our production products, although we are driving it out in
favor of XSLT.

You explained the reason for this list to have so low trafic. Many are replacing DSSSL with XSLT. But do you think they are equivalent? I don't think so. XSLT doesn't allow you to do what DSSSL can do. Of course, DSSSL development is not complete in OpenJade, but I plan to change this.

I hope you find someone for your working place. In fact, I have met some other companies who use DSSSL in their work flow. Everyone sais DSSSL is not used, but when you scratch a bit, it is widely used. Why do companies using DSSSL hide under the rocks, and those using XSLT shouth out so loud?

Javi