Re: [dssslist] macro and XPath features?

Subject: Re: [dssslist] macro and XPath features?
From: "Christopher R. Maden" <crism@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:18:37 -0700 (PDT)
Oleg Paraschenko:
>   I've looked through the DSSSL specification, but haven't found answers
> for the following questions.
>
> * Does DSSSL have macro facilities?

That depends on what you mean.  As a Scheme dialect, you can define
functions; with no parameters, a function is pretty much the same as a
macro.

Also, because your stylesheet specification is an SGML document instance,
you can use SGML entities that way.  (However, I find the benefit of doing
that is well offset by the benefit of wrapping the entire stylesheet in a
CDATA marked section, so I dont generally do that.)

> * Does DSSSL have an analogue of XPath?

Not really, at least not in any short string syntax.  There is a query
language called SDQL thats part of DSSSL, but its much more verbose than
XPath.

~Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden, Principal Consultant, crism consulting
XML-SGML-HTML-DTDs-schemas-XSL-DSSSL-conversion-training-ebooks-B2B