Re: [jats-list] NISO? JATS?

Subject: Re: [jats-list] NISO? JATS?
From: "Beck, Jeff (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [E]" <beck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 12:35:12 -0400
Hi Norias,

I hope I can help clear some of this up.

We at NLM are still heavily involved in support of the Journal Article Tag
Suite. We've taken the NLM DTDs to NISO in an effort to bring some official
standardization to the work.

I expect that we will have the draft of the standard available before the
end of the year. The DTD will change some with the first version that is
associated with the NISO standard, but this will be an incremental change -
something that we would all expect following the life of the DTDs.

That is, version 3.1 of the Tag Suite will be the version in the NISO
standard. This should be a backward-compatible version. And we will continue
to maintain all of the supporting documents on the NLM site at
http://dtd.nlm.nih.gov

PubMed Central is still using the NLM DTDs. We will start converting content
to and accepting content in the new version (3.1) when it is released. But,
I'm thinking that PubMed Central discussions are probably out of scope for
this group. If you have any more questions about pmc, you can direct them to
us at pmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And the name: JATS. This is something that really took off after we came up
with the title of the conference.  I don't think it is an official new name,
but it certainly is easier to say and write than Journal Article Tag Suite.

Jeff