[jats-list] linking to lists - problem with journal publishing v2.3 DTD?

Subject: [jats-list] linking to lists - problem with journal publishing v2.3 DTD?
From: "HILLMAN, Tomos" <tomos.hillman@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 12:12:27 +0000
Hi Folks,

Please bear with me if this is an ignorant question; I'm fairly new to
NLM/JATS as most of our data-models here at OUP are in-house.  However, I've
been asked to start looking at NLM for our journals department as we start
working more closely together.

In particular we are looking to consolidate instructions for capturers and QA
processes, and bring them in line with the rest of the business.  To this end
I'm compiling requirements for our NLM capture and QA, and writing
documentation and QA rules (we have a system similar to Schematron based on
xPath tests) for our NLM content.

One of the sources of these rules is the PubMed stylechecker tool, which I'm
told our suppliers check their XML against before delivery.  In particular at
the moment I'm looking at the requirements for //xref/@rid.  When the xref has
@ref-type="list", one of the allowed targets (according to PubMed's tool) is
list (or list-item).  However, in the DTD the @id for these elements is
defined as CDATA rather than ID - this means that the values used in @rid
(which is IDREF) are invalid when trying to point at these items, effectively
forbidding linking to lists.

Is this by design, or an oversight?  If the latter, are fixes being made to
2.3?
Tom
Oxford University Press (UK) Disclaimer

This message is confidential. You should not copy it or disclose its contents
to anyone. You may use and apply the information for the intended purpose
only. OUP does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this
message. Any views or opinions presented are those of the author only and not
of OUP. If this email has come to you in error, please delete it, along with
any attachments. Please note that OUP may intercept incoming and outgoing
email communications.