From: "Beck, Jeff (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [E]" <beck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 16:52:05 -0500
Hi Bendte,

I enjoyed your presentation during the opening session at JATS-Con last
year. I hope to see you again in the fall.

I agree with you to not cave in to sticking your <bio> in <author-notes>.
If it is a bio, use <bio>.

The first general advice I would give about making tagging decisions is
don't throw away any information if you don't have to. And I would
consider which <bio> goes with which <contrib> to be important
information.

Using an ID/IDREF between <contrib> and <bio> will make them just as
related (or relatable) as if <bio> was a child of <contrib>.

I'd suggest that if your vendor can handle <bio> in the <back> and display
them in a way that you are satisfied with (including moving where you want
them wrt the displayed contribs or at least building a link), you are safe
to not insist on <bio> being a child of <contrib>.

It is ok to "give in" to their tagging suggestion as long as you get what
you really want - an explicit relationship between the contrib and bio in
the XML and rendered document.

Jeff