Re: [jats-list] Improving Preview Stylesheets - suggestions, please

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Improving Preview Stylesheets - suggestions, please
From: Kevin Hawkins <kevin.s.hawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 14:26:51 -0400
Pardon the late reply to this call for suggestions.

The University of Michigan Library is building a system for publishing journal literature into HathiTrust:

http://www.lib.umich.edu/mpach

While we will normalize content to the Article Authoring Tag Set of JATS, we will allow archiving of anything conforming to the Journal Archiving & Interchange Tag Set.

Since I have not been able to find any version of the Preview XSLT stylesheets on the JATS website, we are adapting the Preview XSLT at http://dtd.nlm.nih.gov/tools/tools.html (designed for version 3.0 of the Journal Publishing Tag Set) for server-side processing of JATS content for display in HTML in the HathiTrust user interface. It will be embedded in a wider webpage including navigation elements. The way to avoid CSS conflicts would be to have an iframe, but architectural considerations on our side have led us to choose not to do that. Therefore, we are having to tweak both our existing CSS (covering the navigational elements) and jpub-preview.css to avoid conflicts.

In the future, we imagine also using the PDF-generation functionality.

Anyway, we would like to see Preview XSLT improved:

a) to support the Journal Archiving & Interchange Tag Set (and not just the Journal Publishing Tag Set)

b) to no longer use <html:table> to achieve presentational layout for metadata found in <jats:front> in the HTML output (the two "columns" containing "Journal Information" and "Article Information"). Use of <html:table> for things other than tabular data is bad practice for accessibility.

--Kevin