[jats-list] checking URIs

Subject: [jats-list] checking URIs
From: Kevin Hawkins <kevin.s.hawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 17:30:10 -0400
I am interested in checking all URIs in JATS files. Well, not all URIs. I am happy to ignore a URI that might for some reason be mentioned in the prose of the article, but I'm interested in any actionable URIs, even relative URIs giving the location of, say, a graphic.

Given that scope ...

a) Is it true that all such URIs are found in @xlink:html? Are there any other attributes whose value is a URI? Or possibly an element whose content is supposed to be a URI?

b) Do people have suggestions on whether it's better to test that they resolve (a link checker), testing for well-formedness as a URI, or both? That is, does anyone know of URIs that resolve using some software but which aren't valid according to RFC 3986? If so, for preservation purposes, I think I would want to catch these.

--Kevin