[jats-list] Re: future of Preview XSLT

Subject: [jats-list] Re: future of Preview XSLT
From: Kevin Hawkins <kevin.s.hawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 14:53:14 -0400
Tommie, belated thanks for the response from August. In looking through the list archives, I see that you explicitly told us all of this in May on a different thread, and then in August I wrote again on this new thread asking all of these questions again. :(

Anyway, two more suggestions that might be of interest to the wider group as well:

1) Author names are currently not rendered with any delimiting punctuation to separate various authors. Use a browser that can do browser-side XSLT (not Chrome) and look at the references at http://www-personal.umich.edu/~nasirg/bmj_html.xml

2) It would be nice if there were arrow icons in the references list that, when clicked, take you back to the point in the document where the siglum appears. See how Wikipedia handles endnotes.

In a suggestion that I submitted in May, I said we would be rendering articles conforming to the Journal Archiving and Interchange Tag Set, but we have since decided to restrict ourselves to the Journal Publishing Tag Set. So support for rendering of Journal Archiving and Interchange is no longer a priority for us. However, putting the stylesheets in a repository to which we could all contribute fixes would be helpful, assuming that we can solve IP issues around work created by US government employees as part of their job duties (always in the public domain) versus works created by federal contractors like Mulberry (protected by copyright) and by anyone else contributing (protected by copyright).

Kevin

Hi Kevin --

With NLM's sponsorship we at Mulberry are updating the preview stylesheets and
hope to release improved versions approximately when JATS 1.0 is approved and
released. Among the new features will be support forward to JATS 1.0 and
backward to NLM 2.3

We appreciate your bug report, and all other reports of infelicities. We can't
promise to fix everything but we will certainly try.

And once we announce the new stylesheets we hope you will test, comment, and
suggest improvements.

-- Tommie