Re: [jats-list] How/When do you produce a JATS-XML version of you publication within your publication workflow

Subject: Re: [jats-list] How/When do you produce a JATS-XML version of you publication within your publication workflow
From: Ian Mulvany <i.mulvany@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 22:23:28 +0100
utopia:

# utopia.

Utopia is pretty much the best stand alone PDF reader for research
documents. PDFs remain the main format used for reason the scientific
literature, but it is relatively expensive to format them in a way
that makes them interactive, and that connects them to the underlying
data. At eLife we are very keen to make GE results I research as
widely accessible as possible. That means not only publishing in open
access, but also working with authors through the suission process to
make their data as available as possible. If we only created PDfs as
our research papers we would be throwin away a lot of that good work,
so we are working hard on building a good home on the web for this
research. However most research still prefer to read via PDF. Utopia
is a rally elegant solution. It allows the reader to work with PDFs,
as they prefer, but it has some really great built in intelligence
that helps to recreate the connection between the researchers. Story
and the underlying data. ELife has been working on putting structured
data into the PDFs, and utopia uses this well. As we continue to
develop our publishing platform we will continue to work closely with
utopia to make sure that the research. We pivlish continues to work
really well with their excellent service. One of the neat features of
utopia is that it can pull down up to date information about the PDF.

I'll have some impactstory comments over later.

- Ian