Re: [jats-list] 'xlink' namespace prefix definition in JATS

Subject: Re: [jats-list] 'xlink' namespace prefix definition in JATS
From: Tommie Usdin <btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 13:45:00 -0500
This is intentional. It was a compromise based on the recognition that Xlink
is rarely used but there are:

1. existing documents with the namespace declared that should not be
unnecessarily orphaned by a non-backwards compatible change, and

2. a few applications that do use XLINK and want/need the namespace
declaration.

(Off topic, but I can't resist: I was both surprised and disappointed in the
popular failure of Xlink. I still think it includes some concepts that we as a
community would benefit from significantly. I think the failure was/is caused
by failure to communicate and an overly-complex specification.)

-- Tommie

On Mar 5, 2013, at 1:01 PM, Nikos Markantonatos <nikos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I happened to notice a difference in the definition of the xlink:href
attribute in JATS compared to NLM DTD v3.0. In common3.ent, NLM DTD v3.0
defines it with a default FIXED value:

> <!ENTITY % might-link-atts
>    "xmlns:xlink CDATA                             #FIXED
>                            'http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink'
>
> whereas JATS defines it with no default value:
>
> <!ENTITY % might-link-atts
>    "xmlns:xlink CDATA                           #IMPLIED
>
> Wouldn't this mean that all XMLs using the 'xlink' namespace prefix will be
forced to define it? Is this intentional?

> Nikos Markantonatos
> Atypon
>
> --
> Confidentiality Notice:  This email and any attachments are for the sole use
of the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be confidential
and/or legally privileged.  If you have received this email in error, please
notify the sender by reply email and delete the message.  Any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of this communication by someone other than the
intended recipient is prohibited.

B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx