Re: [jats-list] Versions of an article

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Versions of an article
From: Alf Eaton <eaton.alf@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 22:34:23 +0100
CrossRef did have a blog post about this a few years ago
<http://crosstech.crossref.org/2010/02/does_a_crossref_doi_identify_a.html>,
mentioning the possibility of updating the guidelines. It seems like
DataCite has gone much further with allowing/recommending new DOIs for
later versions of the same "work", perhaps because datasets are more
likely to be updated over time.

All this is helpful discussion, by the way - the choice of possible
elements has expanded to "related-article", "self-uri" and/or
"sub-article" :-)

It's worth noting that the web, with URLs for each version and link
relations in the HTML/HTTP headers[1], has pretty much solved this
problem already, so mimicking those link relations in XML seems like
the most straightforward answer.

Alf

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5829