Re: [jats-list] Tagging article series across issues

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Tagging article series across issues
From: Nikos Markantonatos <nikos@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 15:41:55 +0300
Hi Laura,

I think the definition of <series-title> in JATS is a little ambiguous. If you look at the NLM DTD v1.0 definition, it clearly states that the series-title can span multiple issues:

> Some issues of journals are part of a publishing series. These
> journals will have series information (just as they have an issue
> number), as part of the article metadata, to describe the series of
> the journal in which the article is published.

I am not sure why this explanation did not survive until JATS, but even JATS hints to multiple issues in the "Remarks" section:

> Within the article metadata, the <series-title> element names a
> publishing or in-journal series and the <series-text> element
> provides textual description (if any) of the series.

The in-journal series which JATS talks about is certainly not within the same issue.

If you move away from the series-title/series-text solution, you can always encode your research topics as

<subj-group subj-group-type="research-topic">

and assign each article those that represent it. Then, a search over each such topic, will furnish the collection of articles under each topic, which the publisher can then render at will.

Regards,
Nikos