Re: [jats-list] Quiz/Q&A extension to JATS

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Quiz/Q&A extension to JATS
From: Tommie Usdin <btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 23:27:12 -0400
Hi Wei --

There are two reasons we don't know when the new version of BITS will be out:

  1. we aren't quite sure how long it will take to finish the work (I am
thinking
     there are probably a few weeks more work to be done), and

  2. we aren't sure when we will be allowed to finish the work. The problem is
that
     this work is funded by the US government, and it is suspended for an
unspecified
     amount of time.

We really want to get it out as soon as we can, and we will do our best to get
it out
promptly. But we don't know anything specific.

-- Tommie

On Oct 1, 2013, at 9:45 AM, Wei Zhao <w.zhao@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Debbie,
>
> We are looking at adopting BITS in our ebook platform. Just wonder when the
new version of BITS will be out?

> Thanks,
>
> Wei
>
> --
> Wei Zhao
> Metadata Librarian
> OCUL/Scholars Portal
> Phone: 416 946-0951
> Fax: 416 978-1668
> w.zhao@xxxxxxxxxxx
>

> On 9/26/2013 02:46 PM, Debbie Lapeyre wrote:
>> On Sep 26, 2013, at 12:30 PM, Kirsten Howard<kirstenh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>>> At last year's JATS-CON I heard a rumor about a proposed extension to JATS
for handling quizzes and Q&A with the idea that eventually it would become
part of the JATS specification.  Can anyone confirm the existence of a quiz
extension and point me to documentation of it?  I think it was something
Atypon submitted.

>> There is not a JATS module for handling questions and answers, but
>> there is a BITS (Book Interchange Tag Suite) module that handles these
>> in the BITS Tag Set that is under development and not yet
>> released.
>>
>> A given publisher or archive could choose to customize a JATS
>> Tag Set with the new question-answer module if they chose.
>>
>> BITS is due out soon.
>>
>> --Debbie

>> Deborah A Lapeyre              mailto:dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Mulberry Technologies, Inc.      http://www.mulberrytech.com
>> 17 West Jefferson Street         Phone: 301-315-9631 (USA)
>> Suite 207                        Fax:   301-315-8385
>> Rockville, MD 20850
>> Mulberry Technologies: Consultancy for XML, XSLT, and Schematron

B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML and SGML