[jats-list] Markup for linguistics (glossed text)

Subject: [jats-list] Markup for linguistics (glossed text)
From: Michael Boudreau <mboudreau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 21:17:17 +0000
Greetings,

Has anyone tackled the problem of marking up textual illustrations that
require multiple points of vertical alignment--the sort of thing for which
you9d set tab stops on a typewriter or word processor?

I9m working on a linguistics journal that has lots of glossed text
illustrations that are typeset like the items labeled (3) and (4) on this
page image:

   http://mss.uchicago.edu:81/mrb/linguistics.png

We9re using the NLM Journal Publishing 3.0 DTD, and I9m at a loss for a
markup solution that seems semantically reasonable and illustrates the
relationships between the chunks of text that the typesetting makes
obvious. I9ve considered table markup, but I don9t want to break a single
sentence or other unit of meaning into multiple table cells across a row.
When I consider how our online host would convert XML into HTML, I see
only the same bad option.

Am I overlooking something obvious?

--
Michael R. Boudreau
Electronic Publishing Technology Manager