Re: [jats-list] when to use 'media' vs 'supplementary-material'

Subject: Re: [jats-list] when to use 'media' vs 'supplementary-material'
From: Alexander Schwarzman <aschwarzman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 14:34:51 -0500
Tom:

To me, it sounds like a pretty clear case, where you should use fig/media.

Thank you,

Alexander ('Sasha') Schwarzman, Content Technology Architect
phone: +1.202.416.1979 | e-mail: aschwarzman@xxxxxxx
The Optical Society (OSA)
2010 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20036 USA

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 10:00 AM, TOM MOWLAM
<tom.mowlam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear All - this is a question about JATS Publishing 1.0.
>

> We have an article which contains a video file which is referred-to within
the text and will be included within the document - it is not clear to me
whether the video file should be tagged as 'media' or
'supplementary-material'.

> The difference between the tags is documented for the 'media' tag as
follows:
> http://jats.nlm.nih.gov/publishing/tag-library/1.0/n-4bv0.html
> """"""""""
> The element <media> should be used for movies, audio clips, or media in
other formats which is intrinsic to the documents content, that is, the media
object is discussed within the document.
> The element <supplementary-material> should be used for films, audio clips,
or other material which enhances a document, but which is not discussed as
part of the document.
> """"""""""
>
> The difference between the tags is documented for the
'supplementary-material' as follows (pretty much the same):
> http://jats.nlm.nih.gov/publishing/tag-library/1.0/n-qxn0.html
> """"""""""
> The element <media> should be used for video, audio clips, time-dependent
graphic types, and all moving images in other media formats where the material
is intrinsic to the content, that is, the media object is discussed within the
text or is essential to the message of the text.
> The element <supplementary-material> should be used for films, audio clips,
other moving material, and non-XML formats or even other XML material that
enhances or supplements a document, but that is not discussed as part of the
document or is not essential to the conclusions of the text. Such
supplementary material could include the datasets or spreadsheets on which the
textual conclusions are based.
> """"""""""
>
> I take this to mean that 'media' is for items which are part of the
documents content and are discussed within the content - ie like figures and
tables, and 'supplementary material' is for other supporting files.
> I would therefore expect it to be possible to cross-reference 'media' in the
same way as figures and tables within 'xref':
> http://jats.nlm.nih.gov/publishing/tag-library/1.0/n-nwr0.html
> BUT there is no 'ref-type' attribute value that corresponds to 'media' -
although there is a 'ref-type' attribute value that corresponds to
'supplementary-material'
> http://jats.nlm.nih.gov/publishing/tag-library/1.0/n-4rj0.html
>
> It doesn't seem right that it is possible to cross-reference
'supplementary-material' which is "not discussed as part of the document" but
it is not possible to cross-reference 'media' which "is intrinsic to the
document's content, that is, the media object is discussed within the
document"... so I have taken the wrong fork somewhere in the road, and would
appreciate someone putting me back on the right track! :-)

> BTW, in my opinion, it would be helpful if:
> 1- the difference between 'media' and 'supplementary-material' was described
consistently on the 'media' and 'supplementary-material' pages