Re: [jats-list] JATS and Open Access Metadata Indicators

Subject: Re: [jats-list] JATS and Open Access Metadata Indicators
From: "Beck, Jeff (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [E]" <beck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 20:26:17 +0000
Hi Vincent,

I've been looking at this Draft Recommendation also. The JATS Standing
Committee has already received a public comment concerning NISO
RP-22-201x, which we will discuss at the next meeting.

My personal opinion is that probably nothing will be recommended to be
added to the standard until the OA Metadata Indicators is out of Draft
status and in use. There has been a lot of talk about this draft
recommendation, and I imagine that the final recommendation will differ
from the draft that we have all just read.

As far as how it will or should be implemented in JATS once there is a
final published recommendation is still up for discussion. I like your
enthusiastic "out with the old model, in with the new" take on things.
That would certainly be the cleanest - for anyone who wants to do it that
way. Anyone who would want to use the existing license model would be out
of luck. I imagine we will wind up with enough elements in there (old and
new) that it will be possible to build some really clunky and ugly
structures.

This is where documentation and Best Tagging Practices come into play. It
would be ideal if a group of publishers who were very interested in Open
Access Metadata Indicators created a best practices for tagging
license/license-reference material in JATS. Certainly this would lead to
consistency in the way that this information would be tagged.

We will hear about some of this at JATS-Con (April 1 & 2 on the NIH Campus
in Bethesda, MD). Perhaps the recommendation will be out of Draft by then.
It should lead to some lively and productive discussions.

If you haven't registered for JATS-Con yet, we're running a special this
afternoon. Half off registration if you mention my name.
http://jats.nlm.nih.gov/jats-con/forms/JATSregistration.html

Jeff