Re: [jats-list] <code> and @language documentation (1.1d1)

Subject: Re: [jats-list] <code> and @language documentation (1.1d1)
From: Debbie Lapeyre <dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:13:55 -0500
On Feb 28, 2014, at 6:34 AM, Alf Eaton <eaton.alf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I was looking at the documentation for the new <code> element[1], in
> preparation for making use of it, and noticed a couple of oddities:
>
> Firstly, it seems that the @language attribute is intended for
> conveying the language that the code is written in, but in the
> examples, @code-type is used instead of @language. I would like to
> suggest that the example is changed to use @language:
>
> <code language="xml"
> rather than
> <code code-type="xml"

Interestingly, we had this argument inside Mulberry too.
For myself, I am old-fashioned and maintain that "XML" is NOT
a programming language. For example, I could see the following:

  code-type="xml"
  language="xslt"

I'll take this one to the JATS Standing Committee and get
a sense of what the SC thinks on this one.

> Secondly, the documentation for the @language attribute[2], uses
> "Javascript" as an example, but the correct capitalisation would
> actually be "JavaScript". I would like to suggest that the
> documentation and examples only use lowercase values for @language
> (e.g. "javascript", "xml"), to avoid having to normalise values to
> lowercase when processing or querying.

I think this is a very good suggestion. We are in the middle
of cleaning up a lot of the examples.

--Debbie

Deborah A Lapeyre              mailto:dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.      http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street         Phone: 301-315-9631 (USA)
Suite 207                        Fax:   301-315-8385
Rockville, MD 20850
Mulberry Technologies: Consultancy for XML, XSLT, and Schematron