Re: [jats-list] Metadata: version number of an article

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Metadata: version number of an article
From: Alf Eaton <eaton.alf@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 16:55:30 +0100
Thanks both, for the suggestions.

<history> can be ruled out quite simply, because the version number
isn't a date, and <history> can only contain dates :)

<article-id> sounds promising, but the version number isn't an
identifier, so within a collection there would be multiple articles
with <article-id pub-id-type="article-version">1.0</article-id>, which
seems like abuse of the tag's semantics, to me.

Perhaps this is just one of those cases where there isn't a more
appropriate tag than <custom-meta>b&

Alf

On 11 April 2014 16:41, Nikos Markantonatos <nikos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Vincent.
>
> In trying to answer Alf's question, I was more inclined to use the
<history>
> element, much like your suggested approach with the timestamp, or even a
> real date. I was being held back by the lack of a version identifier in
that
> solution. But your alternative proposal using the <article-id> is excellent
> and very much to the spirit of that tag. Of course, one can combine these
> suggested solutions to maintain both the current version number as well as
> the date history of previous versions.
>
> I think these two solutions minimize the need for introducing a custom
> version element to JATS.
>
> Best regards,
> Nikos Markantonatos
> Atypon
>

> On 04/11/2014 06:29 PM, Lizzi, Vincent wrote:
>>
>> Alf,
>>
>> This seems like a good use case for the <history> element. The next
>> question is how to tag version number using the elements allowed in
>> <history>. If your version numbering scheme happens to use timestamps this
>> might work for you:
>>
>> <history><date date-type="article-version"
>> iso-8601-date="2014-04-10T08:51:00Z"/></history>
>>
>> A different approach that would probably work better could be to use
>> <article-id>. Versioning is related to identifying a document so this
seems
>> like a reasonable use of the article-id tag. In this usage the id is a
>> "Identifier assigned to a version of an article." instead of a "Unique
>> identifier assigned to an article." One might use the article-version
>> identifier in combination with an article identifier (such as DOI) to
locate
>> a version of an article. For example:
>>
>> <article-id pub-id-type="article-version">1.0</article-id>
>>
>> An example with version numbers automatically assigned by subversion:
>>
>> <article-id pub-id-type="article-version">$Revision: 42 $</article-id>
>>
>> Another option that you could do is customize your local version of JATS
>> to add an element to hold article version. There is no tag in JATS
currently
>> to capture the version of an article so this would be a reasonable
>> extension.
>>
>> Vincent

"<custom-meta><meta-name>version</meta-name><meta-value>1.0</meta-value></cus
tom-meta>"?