[jats-list] Open Access Indicators in JATS

Subject: [jats-list] Open Access Indicators in JATS
From: "Halloran, Shaun shalloran@xxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 17:58:22 -0000
Hi,

It's been a while since I've seen any mention of Open Access indicators on the
list.  We're in the early stages of implementing FundRef for our journals, and
I'm attempting to come up with a tagging solution for the Public Access items
(such as what was mandated by the OSTP memo).  We're currently using JATS 1.0
Green.

I'm already using the JATS recommendation of <license
license-type="open-access"> for my open access content, and I'm planning to
use "public-access" for federally funded content that must be made live
following an embargo period (and to be clear, I'm not attempting to spark a
debate on public vs. open access - everyone is free to call it whatever they
want).  My problem is that, in the current tag set, I have no way of
specifying the embargo period directly - this is something the NISO
recommendation sought to fix.

I thought about using a <date> element in the history for this, but I don't
like how it would be disassociated from the license information.  So instead,
I plan to use multiple <license> elements, as suggested by CHORUS, to identify
public access articles and the licenses that apply to each published object
(accepted manuscript and VOR), and <license-p content-type> (or perhaps
<named-content content-type> within <license-p> to allow for start and end
dates) to identify the embargo dates associated with each license.  This
essentially fits with the CHORUS recommendation, but is somewhat out of line
with the "paragraph of text" description of what <license-p> is supposed to
be.

Before I finalize my decision, I wanted to see if any other publishers had
already gone down this road, and what approach they have taken for specifying
embargo dates.  I will say that I'm attempting to not superset the DTD with
additional NISO-based elements because I doubt that our online platform would
be willing to support those tags (they were hoping for an official JATS
solution in 1.1, but it looks like we'll have to wait a little longer for
that).

I appreciate any feedback on this approach.

Cheers,
Shaun

Shaun Halloran
Senior Manager, Production
American Society of Civil Engineers
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191
703-295-6215
shalloran@xxxxxxxx
 This email has been scanned for email related threats and delivered safely by
Mimecast.