Re: [jats-list] Todays G+ discussions

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Todays G+ discussions
From: "Maloney, Christopher (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] maloneyc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 21:01:21 -0000
For those who missed it, and are interested, you can view a recording of
the webinar either from the hangout page,
https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/c4skqol6qlg8ai7m200l31pvlv4, or on
Youtube  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3iwVlkvWdY.

Note that if youbd like to participate more fully in the ongoing
discussions, they are mostly taking place on GitHub issues,
https://github.com/JATS4R/elements/issues.  To get notifications, youbll
need to create a GitHub account and bwatchb that repository.  I think the
way it works is, if you watch the repo, then you are automatically
subscribed to *new* issues as they are created, and you will get a
notification, but then you can immediately unsubscribe from ones that
youbre not interested in, by clicking the bUnsubscribeb button on the
issue page.

Dave, our current recommendations for license tagging are here,
https://github.com/JATS4R/elements/wiki/Permissions.  They are not
bofficialb yet, but still subject to change.  We had considerable
discussion about which licenses should apply.  They need to be identified
by canonical, persistent, published URIs, and in our recommendations, we
have a sentence that reads, "Currently, the only license URIs that meet
these requirements are those published by Creative Commons.b  This might
be wrong; I know that there are groups that are doing for data and code
what CC is doing for literature, (e.g. opendatacommons.org, and GNU,
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html).

Regarding schema.org, Ibm not sure what you have in mind.  Therebs a lot
of overlap between the types of metadata defined by schema.org and JATS.
Are you thinking that we should look for a way to generically embed
schema.org into JATS documents?  Or just that we reuse the same property
names and so forth whenever possible?

Canonical ways of defining media types of supplementary material and other
media files should definitely be part of the JATS4R effort.  It is one of
the areas of difficulty that Daniel had with his bot, that we documented
in the JATSCon paper
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK159964/#_mietchen-media-types_).  We
will add that to the queue.

Thanks!