Re: [jats-list] DOIs in references

Subject: Re: [jats-list] DOIs in references
From: "Debbie Lapeyre dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 16:51:34 -0000
Melissa--

You are not alone in wondering. The material below is from the
most recent meeting of the JATS Standing Committee.

------------------------------------
Comment 00535 - Linking attributes for element <pub-id>

Request: The current JATS reference models (<mixed-citation> and
<element-citation>) allow a unique global identifier such as a DOI, ARC, or
Handle to be tagged using the element <pub-id>. But many publishers are
tagging the DOIs in their reference lists using the element <ext-link> because
they want the identifier to be a live link and the element <pub-id> does not
take linking attributes. It would be better if the DOIs were both tagged as
<pub-id> elements and linked.

Submitter Proposed Solution:

Add the might-link attributes to the element <pub-id>, so that a DOI or
similar
identifier can be made into a live link.
<pub-id="doi"
xlink:href="http://dx.doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.6070/H4WM1BBQ";>10.6070/H4W
M1BBQ</doi>

Standing Committee Recommendation

Add linking attributes (optionally) to <pub-id>, so that a pub-id that is a
DOI can carry the linking attribute to be turned into a link. Such a
<pub-id> acts as both an identifier and a link.

So you will soon be able to call something a <pub-id> because it is,
and link it, as CrossRef recommends.

--Debbie

On Nov 4, 2014, at 11:20 AM, Melissa Harrison m.harrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Is there a preference in tagging DOIs using element citation. Our vendor
tags as pub-id pub-id-type="doi" if there is no prefix http://dx.doi.org
however, if there is a prefix they tag as:

> <ext-link ext-link-type="uri"
xlink:href="http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00442-006-0365-8";>10.1007/s00442-006-0
365-8</ext-link>

> We're converting our archive right now and will automatically change them to
be consistent. Which is the preferred tagging in JATS?

> If we need to add the prefix and change to a uri we'll automate, or vice
versa.

> Or, could we have a pub-id AND an ext-link.
>
> Which is best?
>
> Thanks
> Melissa
>
> Melissa Harrison, Head of Production Operations, eLife
> eLife Sciences Publications, Ltd
> 1st Floor
> 24 Hills Road
> Cambridge
> CB2 1JP

Deborah A Lapeyre              mailto:dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.      http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street         Phone: 301-315-9631 (USA)
Suite 207                        Fax:   301-315-8385
Rockville, MD 20850
Mulberry Technologies: Consultancy for XML, XSLT, and Schematron