[jats-list] Symposium on Cultural Heritage Markup

Subject: [jats-list] Symposium on Cultural Heritage Markup
From: "B Tommie Usdin btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 02:27:07 -0000
Cultural Heritage Markup:
Using Markup to preserve, understand, and disseminate cultural heritage
materials
a Balisage pre-conference symposium

Chair: Hugh Cayless
Duke Collaboratory for Classics Computing (DC3)

Monday August 10, 2015
Bethesda North Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, Bethesda, MD, USA

Markup and markup technologies are used in a wide variety of cultural heritage
projects by linguists, students of literature, librarians, historians,
curators, and others. Markup is used behind the scenes in archives, libraries,
and museums to create and store metadata and the textual content of a wide
variety of materials both textual and artefactual. We want to know how you or
your project are using markup to preserve, analyze, disseminate, or curate
materials of long-term value to society.

Balisage is an excellent venue to discuss both theoretical and practical
questions. Is cultural heritage markup essentially different from industrial
markup? Is it inherently more heterogeneous, more complex? Are
bindustrialb tools like XML and HTML really appropriate for cultural
heritage materials? How well will standards like TEI and EAD serve us as
technology progresses? We dedicate this day to discussion of the challenges
and possibilities of markup technologies used in the preservation of our
cultural heritage and its transmission to future generations.

We welcome proposals to present at the Symposium. Topics may include, but are
not limited to:

	b" Representing heterogeneous materials
	b" Data modeling to support scholarly research
	b" Building for the long term, even after the money has run out
	b" Using/repurposing tools that werenbt designed for the kind of thing
youbre doing
	b" Is XML really appropriate for representing texts of scholarly interest?
	b" Is XML really appropriate for representing metatdata about non-textual
artefacts?
	b" What does it mean for cultural heritage texts to be interoperable? Is it
desirable? Is it possible?
	b" Shared tag sets. Do shared markup vocabularies (e.g., TEI, EAD, LIDO,
CDWA) do more harm than good?

Full papers should be submitted by 17 April 2015. All papers are peer-reviewed
b we pride ourselves that you will seldom get a more thorough, skeptical, or
helpful review than the one provided by Balisage reviewers.

Key dates:
- 27 March 2015 b Peer review applications due
- 17 April 2015 b Paper submissions due
- 17 April 2015 b Applications for student support awards due
- 22 May 2015 b Speakers notified
- 17 July 2015 b Final papers due
- 10 August 2015 b Symposium on Cultural Heritage Markup
- 11b14 August 2015 b Balisage: The Markup Conference

For more information: info@xxxxxxxxxxxx or +1 301 315 9631

        Balisage: The Markup Conference
   There is Nothing As Practical As A Good Theory

Balisage: The Markup Conference 2014          mailto:info@xxxxxxxxxxxx
August 5-8, 2014                               http://www.balisage.net
Preconference Symposium: August 4, 2014                +1 301 315 9631