Re: [jats-list] NLM Book DTD 2.1 Book to JATS/BITS 1.0

Subject: Re: [jats-list] NLM Book DTD 2.1 Book to JATS/BITS 1.0
From: "Bruce Rosenblum bruce@xxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 23:56:42 -0000
 Hi Derrick,

Greetings from snowy Boston, and thanks for the call-out.

* "I have seen NLM Journal DTD 2.3 to JATS 1.0 scripts, but nothing for a
version older than 2.3"

Any script that converts NLM Journal DTD 2.3 to JATS 1.0 should work on
any file that's from Journal DTD 1.0 to 2.3. That's because all newer
versions from 1.0 through 2.3 were backwards compatible. The changes as
the NLM Journal 1.x/2.x line evolved either loosened earlier models, or
they added new elements in later versions. NLM Journal DTD 3.0 broke
backwards compatibility with the 1.0 to 2.3 line. JATS 1.0 is backwards
compatible with NLM Journal DTD 3.0.

* "our publication data was exported to and stored in NLM Book DTD 2.1"

Question: Are you looking to convert all of your content from NLM Book to
JATS, or do you want to convert journal articles to JATS, and book
content to BITS?

I haven't seen any scripts that convert NLM Book to JATS. Usually
archives for journal content start with NLM Journal, not NLM Book. Your
best bet may be to take an existing NLM Journal 2.3 script and modify it,
as necessary, to handle your NLM Book 2.1 files. Most of the work will
probably be in the outer wrappers and the metadata, rather than the core
body content.

Best regards,

Bruce