[jats-list] Tagging of registered trial information

Subject: [jats-list] Tagging of registered trial information
From: "Tommie Usdin btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 14:27:56 -0000
> From: Melissa Harrison <m.harrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [JATS-List: Discussing the Journal Article Tag Suite] Digest
for 2015-08-17
> Date: August 19, 2015 at 7:24:06 AM EDT
>

> Hi there
>
> This is on the JATS4R list <https://github.com/JATS4R/elements/issues/80> of
items to tackle.

> It's an interesting idea that your tagging suggests turns a clinical trial
into an Object.

> We need samples of how people are currently tagging this, so I look forward
to any other responses to your email!

> As an aside, the Threaded Publications working group (linking clinical trial
information between the resources that refer to them) has recommended the
following information should be clearly identified:

> Register/Registry
> Registration ID (e.g. ISRCTN68329593)
> Article Categorisation  refers to pre-result/result/post-result rather than
article type

> This should be included in the CrossRef schema at some point, so it might be
worth taking the lead from there when addressing this in JATS? However, the
"title" you have is a good piece of metadata to record.

<http://www.elifesciences.org/crm/civicrm/profile/create>
> Browse articles <http://elife.elifesciences.org/browse>
>

> eLife Sciences Publications, Ltd is a limited liability non-profit non-stock
corporation incorporated in the State of Delaware, USA, with company number
5030732, and is registered in the UK with company number FC030576 and branch
number BR015634 at the address First Floor, 24 Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 1JP.

Tag Suite <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> This message contains the recent posts to the JATS-List: Discussing the
Journal Article Tag Suite
(http://lists.mulberrytech.com <http://lists.mulberrytech.com/>).

<mailto:rhiannon.miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
<mailto:jats-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 13:43:06 +0100
> Subject: Tagging of registered trial information
> If an article relates to a registered study (e.g. ISRCTN for clinical trials
or PROSPERO for systematic reviews), currently we note this in free text as
part of the abstract. We would like to be able to include this in the article
metadata, for ease of translation to other XML formats.

> I cant find any element specifically designed for this in JATS. Would it be
appropriate to use <related-object> for this, within <article-meta>? Im
thinking something along the lines of

> <related-object id="rel1" content-type="clinical-trial"
source-id="ISRCTN69423238" source-id-type="ISRCTN">
xlink:href="http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/ISRCTN69423238
<http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/ISRCTN69423238>">10.1186/ISRCTN69423238</ext-link>
> </related-object>
>
> Or would I be better off requesting an addition to JATS to handle this, or
is there already one in the offing? If there is already a standard practice
then obviously Id rather follow that.